MEMZ is a trojan or virus that was originally created by a YouTuber to demonstrate the virus creation on his channel. MEMZ trojan was created for Windows computers. The virus’s payload is slightly funny as it was created to not harm the user’s data. However, it could annoy the normal users. In this article, you will know how to remove MEMZ trojan from your computer.
What is MEMZ Trojan?
MEMZ trojan is a malware created by Leurak. It enters the user’s computers and performs some funnier tasks. It could slightly move the mouse pointer and open search results on your browser automatically. MEMZ virus also loads some internet memes on your browser. Overall, it completely ruins your browsing experience and annoys you with its action. Another version of MEMZ trojan which is more destructive is also in the spread. This malware could affect the Master Boot Record (MBR). It could also replace the first 64 KB of your hard drive, meaning your operating system won’t load and you will see a message.
Your computer has been trashed by the MEMZ Trojan. Now enjoy the Nyan cat…
After that, the Nyan cat will take over to your computer. Overall, the MEMZ virus could destruct your whole computer. Follow the below instructions to remove your computer.
How to Remove MEMZ Virus?
To remove MEMZ Virus you need to take the help of some expert antivirus and antimalware.
Step 1- Stop the MEMZ Virus
First of all, you need to stop the MEMZ virus, otherwise, it could damage your PC if you try to remove it. To stop it open the command prompt with administrator rights. To do that type cmd on the Cortana search box. Now right-click on the command prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
taskkill /f /im MEMZ.exethen press enter. This command will kill the process of Memz virus and now you will be able to remove it from your computer completely.
Step 2 – Uninstall Suspicious Programs
Press the Windows button and R key to open the run dialog.
Now type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
Now the list of all programs installed on your computer opens. Locate the suspicious applications, Right-click on them and choose Uninstall.
Now follow the screen instructions to remove it.
Step 3 – Remove Unwanted Add-ons from the Browsers
Click on Menu button of Chrome, hover the mouse on More tools, then click on the Extension.
You will see the list of all extensions, Now locate all the suspicious extension and click on the Remove button to remove them one by one.
Click on the Remove button again to confirm.
Click on the Firefox Menu, then click on the Add-ons.
Now look for unwanted add-ons and click on the Remove button to delete them from your browsers.
Now select the Menu button and click on Extensions.
You will see all listed extensions, hover your mouse on them and click on the Settings icon.
Now click on Uninstall to remove them from the browser.
Automatically Remove MEMZ Virus
Download MalwareFox to proceed with the steps.
Open the MalwareFox installer and follow the instructions to install MalwareFox on your computer.
Once the MalwareFox is installed, let it update the program and the signature database.
Now click on the Scan button.
Once the scan is completed, click on Next to remove the threats from your PC.
You have successfully removed the MEMZ Virus from your PC. Don’t visit suspicious websites and never install software from untrusted sources. Keep the MalwareFox’s real-time protection feature enabled so that it can protect you from such threats in the future.
|Threat Name:||Memz Virus|
|Brief Description:||Malicious add-on or extension can perform various unwanted tasks on computer.|
|Removal Tool:||▼ DOWNLOAD MalwareFox|
Procedures to Remove Memz Virus
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Procedure 1: Uninstall Memz Virus from Windows Control Panel
1. Begin the removal process by uninstalling the adware program from Windows. To do this, we need to open Control Panel. Please ensure that you are logon with the Administrative privilege to access this function.
Accessing Control Panel in Windows 8 and Windows 10
- On your keyboard, Press Windows Key + X.
- Once Quick Access Menu appears on the screen, please click on Control Panel.
- Control Panel window will open. Please proceed to the next step which is uninstalling Memz Virus.
How to access Control Panel in Windows XP, Windows Vista / 7
- Click on Start button that can be found on bottom left corner of the screen.
- From the list, choose Control Panel to access settings of Windows and make the needed changes.
2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program. It will open a program and features window where-in you can uninstall, change, or repair installed software.
3. Look for adware title or any suspicious name that was installed recently. To do this, you need to arrange the items chronologically. Click on 'Installed On' to display the latest program that looks unfamiliar.
4. Select adware relevant to Memz Virus or any suspicious items. Then, click on Uninstall button to remove it from Windows.
5. If it prompts for confirmation, please click OK button to proceed.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Memz Virus files with MalwareFox Anti-Malware
To remove Memz Virus, download MalwareFox Anti-Malware. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed, MalwareFox will launch.
4. Click on SCAN button to start the detection process.
5. After thorough scanning, infection result will be displayed. Remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program after the process.
Procedure 3: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Installed Anti-virus Program
1. When troubleshooting a PC, one common step is to boot operating system into Safe Mode with Networking. The same approach will be used in the removal of Memz Virus. Please execute instructions based on your Windows OS version.
Start Windows 8 / Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Close all running programs on your computer because we will need to restart Windows on this procedure.
- Press and Hold Shift key on your keyboard while clicking on Restart.
- You will then be presented with Troubleshooting Options.
- Click on Troubleshoot icon.
- Then, Click on Advanced Options icon.
- Select Startup Settings icon and then, Click on Restart button.
- When Windows restarts, it will prompt to choose number from the list of options. Press the number on your keyboard that corresponds to Safe Mode with Networking, commonly number 5.
- Once in Safe Mode, please proceed to the next step which is running a virus scan on the computer.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP / Vista / 7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Once your Windows is running in Safe Mode, open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 4: Run extra scan with Junkware Removal Tool
To make sure that no more malicious files linked to Memz Virus are inside the computer, we must run another effective scanner. This time, use Junkware Removal Tool. No installation is necessary with this tool.
1. Click the button above to start the download process. Save the file to your preferred location.
2. Junkware Removal Tool will close all running applications later. So, before executing the file, please Bookmark or Print this page. And then, close all programs.
3. Double-click the JRT.exe file to initiate the tool.
4. It will prompt you to "Press any key to continue."
5. Junkware Removal Tool will create a Restore Point and proceed with the scan. Please wait for the scan process to finish.
6. After scanning the computer, JRT will open a Notepad containing scan logs. It may have not find Memz Virus relevant entities, but it will surely delete any malicious items not found in the previous scans.
Procedure 5: Reset Affected Internet Browser
Reset browser settings of Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. In the address bar, type this: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter.
3. Navigate at the end of the page and click on Show advanced settings.
4. At the bottom of the page, click on Reset settings to remove all changes made by Memz Virus.
Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
1. Open Internet Explorer software.
2. Navigate to top menu and click Tools > Internet Options.
3. On Internet Options window, select Advanced tab.
4. In order to reverse modifications caused by Memz Virus, click on Reset button to bring back Internet Explorer's settings to their default condition.
Reset Firefox to its default state:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox program.
2. Navigate to top menu and Open Help Menu. Then, select on Troubleshooting Information.
3. Click on Refresh Firefox button to erase the effect of Memz Virus.
Protect your PC from Memz Virus or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Google Chrome's Protection from Dangerous Sites
With Google Chrome's Dangerous Site Protection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious, thus, you can prevent Memz Virus infection. To enable protection from dangerous sites, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. In the address bar, type this: chrome://settings/ and then, Press Enter.
3. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
4. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Protect you and your device from dangerous sites'.
5. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious programs including Memz Virus. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats such as Memz Virus. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Open Menu. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries
Edge Browser - SmartScreen Filter
SmartScreen filter is a built-in feature in Microsoft Edge browser that can help you deter malicious programs such as Memz Virus. It can block malicious web sites and downloads.
1. Open Microsoft Edge browser.
2. Click on More Actions button located at top right corner of the screen.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Under Settings menu, go to Advanced Settings section and click on View Advanced Settings.
5. Scroll down to "help protect my PC from malicious sites and downloads with SmartScreen Filter". Turn it to ON.
6.You may now restart Microsoft Edge browser.