Remove Total Protect
Total Protect virus can penetrate a computer with the help of a Trojan Downloader. Upon invading the system, it will begin to alter system settings, create registry entries, disable anti-virus program and modify Internet browser settings. Initial symptom is a browser hijacking that will block users visit to known web sites. Total Protect intentionally blocks access to security web sites to avoid removing itself. Running of any installed applications are prohibited and declare that the executed file is infected with a virus. This false-positive method is employed by rogue developers to deceive users and force them to pay for the registered version of Total Protect.
While residing on the computer, the rogue program will run itself each time Windows boots-up. Excessive pop-up alerts and warning messages are very much visible on the affected system. A virus-scan is also launched without intervention and display fabricated results. In an attempt to convince user to obtain the licensed version, Total Protect will redirect web browser to a fake alert page while browsing the Internet. It states that existing virus is the cause of this blockage. Ignore these warnings and alerts, to free-up the computer from annoyances and malfunction, immediately remove Total Protect with legitimate security product.
What are the Symptoms of Total Protect Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\[random] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “[random].exe”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter “Enabled” = ‘0’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings “ProxyOverride” = ”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings “ProxyServer” = ‘http=127.0.0.1:8992’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings “ProxyEnable” = ‘1’
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
How to Remove Total Protect Manually
1. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– Press F8 on keyboard as soon as you turn on the computer
– Select SafeMode to start the computer loading only minimal resources
2. Delete Windows registry entries the malware created. It is important to BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
– On Windows Start Menu, Click Start > Run
– Type in the field, regedit
– Find registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary
3. Files related to Total Protect must be deleted:
– Browse and delete malicious files detected above.
– Some files cannot be deleted instantly. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Windows Task Manager, look for any virus-related files mentioned on this page and highlight it, click End Process. Try to delete the file once more.
4. Run Antivirus Program
– You must be connected to Internet to be able to update your anti-virus program. This is needed to have the latest database available and detect newer threats.
– Thoroughly scan the computer and clean or delete all detected threats.
Automatic Removal of Total Protect
1. Print this procedure as we need to close all running programs later.
2. Download AntiMalware Application here and save it to your Desktop.
3. Close all open applications.
4. Double-Click on the downloaded mbam-setup.exe to start the installation. If unable to execute, infections on computer is preventing it from running, rename the file mbam-setup.exe to anything (like myfile.exe)
5. Run the installation on the default settings. No changes are necessary.
6. Just before completing the installation, make sure that the following are marked check.
– Update the program
– Launch the program
7. The tool will run and update itself after installation. Close it after the update.
8. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
– From the selections, Select SafeMode
9. Click on the icon and start to Perform Full Scan to begin scanning your computer for Total Protect related files.
10. After scanning, a message will appear stating that the scan is completed successfully. Click OK.
11. Click Show Results and detected threats will be displayed.
12. Make sure that all threats are marked check, then click Remove Selected to begin removal of the malicious files.
13. Exit AntiMalware Apps and restart your computer.
14. Total Protect and all its files are now removed from your computer. To guard your computer from this threat and avoid future infections, you may want real-time protection from a full version of anti-malware program..