Kirk Ransomware Virus (Removal Guide)
|Brief Description:||This ransom virus encrypts selected files on the computer and prompts user to pay for decryption key.|
|Protection Tool:||â–¼ DOWNLOAD MalwareFox|
Kirk is a ransom virus which is notable for having a lot of distinctions compared to other virus under this category. As evidently seen, this virus uses the Star Trek theme. It portrays as real Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) tool, and then it uses Monero currency as mode of payment.
Kirk virus encrypts various data on bugged machine and then demands a ransom in exchange for file decryption. Kirk does use the .kirked extension to all encrypted files. Then it shows a ransom message that appears to be really alarming.
It informs victims about file encryption and advised them to pay $1100 in Monero currency to regain access to those files. As mentioned, unlike most ransom virus, Kirk did not use the Bitcoin currency as mode of payment. Instead it uses Monero, which is also considered secured and untraceable digital currency. Kirk virus warns victims that the amount of ransom will be doubled if they settle the demand after 48 hours. In 31 days if there was no payment made, the decryption key will be deleted. Thus, there is no way you can bring your files back.
Once payment was made, victims were advised to contact cyber crook via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org along with the payment ID. Then after this, attacker supposedly gives the decryption tool.
We highly encourage you not to pay the ransom or try to contact the malware author. Take note that paying the ransom is not the key to restore your files. In fact, even if you pay the ransom, you have no assurance that maker of Kirk will decrypt your files. Needless to say that putting your trust to these kinds of people is not worth it.
The main goal of Kirk is to collect money from its victims. Therefore, dealing with them might just lead to demand for higher or additional ransom money. In case like this, the best way to retrieve your locked files is through your backup.
To prevent having issue like Kirk virus, you should never open emails from unknown senders. Avoid clicking suspicious content while surfing online. Download and install files only from trusted sources. You have to be very cautious as types of ransom virus may get in onto your computer any on these flaws.
To stop Kirk virus from bothering you, then you have to remove it as soon as you can.
Procedures to Remove Kirk
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Procedure 1: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Installed Anti-virus Program
1. First, we will try to remove Kirk Ransomware Virus (Removal Guide) by running a virus scan under Safe Mode with Networking. To perform this task, please complete these procedures.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Kirk files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Kirk, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed, MBAM will launch.
4. Select SCAN from the top menu. Then, click on Threat Scan (Recommended) section.
5. Click on Start Scan to thoroughly scan the computer. Remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program after the process.
Procedure 3: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner to remove Kirk components.
MS Safety Scanner is a free security tool that offers on-demand virus scanning and helps remove threats from the infected computer. It is a stand-alone program that works even with existing antivirus program.
Important: Each download of Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after the acquisition date. If this period lapses, you need to download the same program from the same location again. New download contains newer virus definition and database to detect and clean most recent viruses.
To use this tool in removing Kirk, please follow this procedure.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner from official web site. Click on the button below.
2. Save the file to a convenient location such as Desktop.
3. Once the download completes, browse the folder and double-click on the file msert.exe. Icon for this file looks like this.
4. If Windows prompts for a security warning and ask if you want to run the file, click on Run. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may right-click on the file and select Run as administrator from the selection.
5. On initial run, the tool will display End User License Agreement, please accept the terms and click Next. Continue on the process until you reach the Scan Type window.
6. Select on Full scan to entire the system and detect any presence of Kirk. Then, click Next button to begin the scan process. Scanning may take a while, please be patient.
7. Once Microsoft Safety Scanner finished on scanning the computer, it will display the result. If it finds presence of Kirk and other malware, the tool removes them automatically.
8. Click on Finish button to close the tool.
Recover Kirk Encrypted Files
Kirk Decryption ToolAt this time, there is no definite way to decrypt files encrypted by Kirk. We are waiting for decryption tool from various computer security developers. You will see update on this area as soon as Kirk decryptor was made available.
Use ShadowExplorer to Recover Files
Recovering Kirk encrypted files using this tool may only be possible if the virus did not erased the Shadow Copies of files on your computer. Volume Shadow Service is a Windows feature and is a component of Windows Backup and System Restore. Backup data are kept automatically in the system after enabling System Restore. Therefore, you may never use this feature when System Restore not active on the computer.
1. Download the most recent version of ShadowExplorer from their official website. Click the button below.
2. Install this program on your computer. It should initialize after the installation process. You may also double-click the created icon to run ShadowExplorer.
3. On main interface, click on the Drive Path at upper left corner to list all Volume Shadow Copies kept on your computer.
4. Select preferred time and date you wish to restore. It is suggested to select the most recent copy before the Kirk infection.
5. Right-click on the folder you wish to restore. Then, click on Export.
6. ShadowExplorer will prompt for the new location of files to recover. Please specify the path where you want to save copies of your files.