How to Remove RarGenie from Mac OS X (May 2019 Update)
|Brief Description:||Adware are unwanted programs that can pose serious threats on Mac computer.|
RarGenie adware claims that it helps Mac OS X users to easily compress or decompress files with multiple compression and extraction formats. Though it seems beneficial, it can make some modifications within your browser settings even without your consent. Hence, changes made without your approval is clear proof that your Macintosh computer is hitting by adware.
For some Mac OS X users, they believed that RarGenie is a virus. They did not install it, and yet it all of a sudden becomes part of the system. In similar to other adware, RarGenie also uses deceptive approaches. One of the standard methods uses by crooks to deliver it is the bundling technique. It often merges with free software so that users may install this extra program without even noticing it.
We highly advised not to keep RarGenie running on your system. This malware may further exploit and damage your Mac computer. Also, cyber crooks use this as a way to steal your sensitive data. This malware observe your online habit. It logs your search queries, pages viewed, choice of products, and other information based on your online routine. Mind you that RarGenie was merely created to gain advertising revenue.
RarGenie may lead you to malicious links, suspicious ads, and malicious web pages. Thus, it won’t keep your Mac OS X system safe from further attack. As you surf the web, this malware lets your machine expose to other threats online.
To be able to return the browser from its previous settings, then all you need is to remove this adware program. Getting rid of RarGenie will also save your Macintosh computer from further attack. Dismissing it as soon as you can is the best way to deal with this adware.
Procedures to Remove RarGenie
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Remove RarGenie from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose "Preferences".
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select "Extensions" tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select RarGenie from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside "Enable RarGenie extension". You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next procedure.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on "Go". Then, select "Go to Folder".
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. RarGenie.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of RarGenie to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of RarGenie
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select "Open" from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the "Scan" button to start checking the computer for presence of RarGenie and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on "Remove Selected Items" to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing RarGenie. Your computer should now be malware free.