Browser hijackers are a kind of malicious software that hijacks the settings of the browser. They replace your homepage, new tab, and default search engine with their address. They display ads of their client on these addresses.
To most users browser hijackers won’t seem harmful. It is because they look like a genuine website or search engine. Keep in mind no good sites hijacks the settings of your browser.
Apart from displaying ads, they steal your data such as browsing history, search history, location, IP address, software, and hardware information. If your browsers have the infection of any browser hijacker, your PC is at risk of severe modern threats.
Here in this article, you will know how to remove any browser hijacker from Chrome and Firefox browser.
Remove Any Browser Hijacker – Index
|Manual Removal Procedure
Manual Removal Procedure
Manual removal procedure takes a little geeky mind; you need to go through the different settings of PC and browser. Also, it takes a bit more time than the automatic removal procedure.
Step 1 – Uninstall Suspicious Items from Control Panel
Most browser hijackers come bundled with other free or pirated software. Most probably the software you recently downloaded from the internet is the culprit. To start the removal procedure first, you need to uninstall such software from the control panel.
1. Click on the search box and type Control Panel then click on Control Panel.
2. Choose Category View and then click on Uninstall a program.
3. Now look for any unknown/suspicious programs and select it and click Uninstall. To check recently installed applications click on Installed on to sort it out.
4. Follow the removal procedure to remove it completely.
Step 2 – Delete Unknown Extension/Add-on from Browsers
Some types of browser hijacker enter in your PC as an add-on to your browser. They have permission to read and change any website you visit. They also replace your homepage and default search engine. In the second step of manual removal procedure, we will be looking for such extensions or add-ons and then trash them.
1. Click on Chrome Menu button and hover your mouse over More Tools, then click on Extensions.
2. Now a page will be there with all the extensions. Now look for Unknown extensions from the list, here in my browser I don’t remember installing CryptoPriceSearch extension. I figured it out as it was using my homepage and the search engine. So, I am going to remove it by clicking on Remove button.
3. Now confirm your action by clicking on Remove button.
1. To remove any browser hijacker from Firefox, click on Firefox Menu button and then click on Add-ons option.
2. A page will open with the list of add-ons on Firefox. Carefully check each add-on and sort the suspicious ones. Here the same add-on is in my Firefox browser which was in Chrome. Delete such add-ons by clicking Remove button.
Step 3 – Remove Hijackers from Browser Settings
Few browser hijackers only affect the settings of your browsers. They replace your homepage, new tab, and default search engine settings. So in this step, we are going to check and clear these settings.
1. Click on Chrome Menu button and choose Settings.
2. Scroll down the settings page to Search engine section. Now check what your default search engine is. If it is not what you expected, then click on Manage search engines. Here my browser’s default search engine is Web Start which I don’t remember adding. So, I am going to remove it.
3. Now select your preferred search engine like Google. Click on the three-dot button beside it and click Make default.
4. Now find unnecessary search engines from the list and click on the three-dot button beside it and click Remove from list. Do this for all useless search engines.
5. Now go back and scroll the settings page to On Startup section. Check if there is any other URL mentioned than the new tab. Here http://web-startpage.com/ is opening on the startup of Chrome. Click on the three-dot button beside it and click Remove.
1. Click on Firefox Menu button and then click Options.
2. On the General options page, under the Home-page section delete any other URL that you don’t want to use as your homepage.
3. Now click on Search from the left side panel. Under the Default search engine section ensure your preferred search engine is selected.
Step 4 – Reset Browsers to Remove Any Browser Hijackers
With the end of Step 3, most browser hijackers get removed, but there are some that won’t go away. So we are going to reset the browsers to remove them in this step.
1. Click on Chrome Menu button and then click on Settings.
2. Scroll down the settings page and click on Advanced.
3. Now scroll again till the end of the page, here you will see Reset and clean up section. Click on the Reset button.
4. Confirm your action by clicking on RESET.
1. Click on Firefox Menu button and then click on Help.
2. Then click on Troubleshooting Information.
3. On this page, click on Refresh Firefox…
4. Confirm your action by clicking on Refresh Firefox button.
Automatic Removal Procedure
Manual removal procedure of browser hijacker is complicated. It needs lots of time and technical knowledge. Also, some browser hijacker is stubborn that they don’t get removed with the manual process. To start with this procedure, you need to download MalwareFox anti-malware.
MalwareFox is capable of removing any browser hijacker from all your browsers within 5 minutes. You need to do few clicks, and the rest is taken care. It does not just remove hijackers but also remove other threats such as spyware, trojans, adware, keyloggers, etc. MalwareFox is your one-stop solution for all modern threats.
Step 1 – Download and Install MalwareFox
Download and install MalwareFox anti-malware on your computer. Its light setup program doesn’t take more than 1 minute to download. The installation is also easy, select your preferred language and click next, in next minute or so it gets installed.
Then MalwareFox will update to latest version. It will also update the most recent signatures from the servers.
Step 2 – Scan your Computer with MalwareFox Anti-Malware
Now click on Scan button, MalwareFox will scan your computer for all kind of infection including browser hijackers.
You can see MalwareFox has detected the hijackers from Chrome and Firefox browser within 3 minutes.
Let the scan complete and then click on Next button to remove these threats.
MalwareFox has removed the infection from your PC, and now it is clean.